|NEW OPENING: OVOLO SOUTH YARRA, MELBOURNE|
Opened: April 8 2021The new Ovolo South Yarra opens its doors this month (April 8). It features 123 rooms ranging from micro-hotel rooms to “Rockstar Suites”. Taking its design cues from the days of disco, rock gods and retro glamour, the vibe is bold, creative and unpredictable. The hotel is already a member of Design Hotels which is always a good sign. Plus, any hotel that can highlight The Hulk, David Bowie and vintage penguin books in the same lobby is alright by us.
Situated next to the intersection of Toorak Road and Chapel Street in Melbourne’s cultural hub of South Yarra, Ovolo South Yarra blends past, present and progressive, as a place where retro-chic and pop art collide.
“Ovolo South Yarra will set the scene for an extraordinary hotel experience embodying Ovolo’s philosophy of connecting with its customers emotionally and will complement the local cultural scene through its art, design and unique restaurant concept,” said Girish Jhunjhnuwala, Founder of Ovolo Group.
Ovolo South Yarra infuses retro-plush, with accents of chrome and colour, it is a heady mix of ‘mod’ and retro-futurism. The tension between past and future is appropriated with integrated modern art installations and collaborations with local and international artists such as Mr Brainwash, Punk Me Tender, and Australian artist Ben Tankard.
“Retrofuturism explores the themes of tension between past and future and the nostalgia of those eras is appropriated with integrated modern art installations and collaborations with local and international artists,” said Rachel Luchetti of Luchetti Krelle interior designers of the hotel.
On entry, experience raw brutalism and monolithic forms, such as a domineering concrete reception desk worth the weight of two elephants or 6 tonnes, and a central fireplace with bright orange flue.
A vast internal light well serves as the heartbeat of the hotel. The largest light well in Australia, showcases a digital art display, a throwback to the golden era of 8-bit arcade games, and the simplicity of a lower resolution world.
Ovolo South Yarra, 234 Toorak Road, South Yarra. Rooms from $A279 per night.
- LUXURY HOTEL: Peninsula Chicago
- NEW OPENING: akyra Manor Chiang Mai
- NEW OPENING: Angama Mara, Kenya
- NEW OPENING: Bush Lodge Family Suites
- NEW OPENING: The Lazlett, London
- Rosewood Beijing
- NEW OPENING: Nihiwatu, Indonesia
- NEW OPENING: The Old Clare Hotel, Sydney, Australia
- NEW OPENING: Moskito Island, BVI
- NEW OPENING: Six Senses Residences Courchevel, France
- NEW OPENING: Keemala
- NEW OPENING: THE HIGHLANDS, TANZANIA
- NEW OPENING: Masseria Trapana
- NEW OPENING: Le Roch, Paris
- NEW OPENING: Le Roch, Paris
- NEW OPENING: Finolhu, Maldives
- NEW OPENING: AVANI Riverside
- NEW OPENING: QT Melbourne
- NEW OPENING: AMANYANGYUN, Nr Shanghai, China
- NEW OPENING: The Silo Hotel
- NEW OPENINGS: Africa
- NEW OPENING Macq01 Hotel, Hobart, Tasmania
- LUXURY HOTELS: Shanghai's hottest openings
- NEW OPENING: Sofitel Darling Harbour, Sydney
- NEW OPENING: QT Queenstown, New Zealand
- NEW OPENING: LUX* Grand Gaube, Mauritius
- NEW OPENING: HOTEL SAVOY, FLORENCE
- NEW OPENING: W Brisbane, Australia
- NEW OPENING: Capella Ubud, Bali
- NEW OPENING: Iberostar Grand Packard, Havana, Cuba
- NEW OPENING: LIMELIGHT, SNOWMASS, USA
- NEW OPENING: Ritz Paris, France
- NEW OPENING: Geoffrey Kent Suite, Sanctuary Olonana
- NEW OPENING: Masseria Torre Maizza
- NEW OPENING: Farmhouse Catskills, New York
- NEW OPENING: Hôtel MiL8, Avoriaz, France
- NEW OPENING: Beach Villas, Alphonse Island
- NEW OPENINGS: Soneva Fushi, Maldives
- NEW OPENINGS: Ithaafushi - The Private Island
- NEW OPENING: Six Senses Botanique, Brazil
- NEW OPENING: Aloft Tulum, Mexico
- NEW OPENING: Baja Club, Mexico
- NEW OPENING: Ovolo South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia
- NEW OPENING: Capella Hanoi, Vietnam
- NEW OPENING: The Knickerbocker Hotel