LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este,
Celebrity watering-hole favoured by the seriously well-heeled and the wannabes. Presidents, pop princesses, prime movers, oligarchs and 'just plain folk' all receive the same warm welcome here.
Despite its reputation as being one of the most desirable destinations in the world, the legendary hotel and resort is neither snooty or aloof. Staff don't talk down to you, nor up. All guests are equal - albeit some have fatter wallets. The hotel is famous for its friendliness, good nature, unequalled facilities and dedication to guests' comfort, pleasure and wellbeing. And they remember your name even if you haven't been there for several years.
No need for choreographed Wow factors here - the setting says it all. .
Poised and serene, the incomparable Villa d'Este - arguably the most beautiful hotel in the world, and easily one of the most romantic - reclines on the shores of the south-western arm of Lake Como on 25 hectares of exquisitely manicured parkland on the outskirts of the charming village of Cernobbio. It is only a hop, skip and a jump from the Swiss border, and is less than 45 minutes from Milan by car or train.
For centuries, Lake Como has been the playground of the titled, the talented, and the terribly rich. The main building on the Villa d' Este estate is an elegant renaissance villa built by architect Pellegrino Pellegrini in 1568 as a summer house for Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio who named it Villa Garrovo. Its fame spread far and wide for its glorious gardens - a blend of baroque and romantic - and the beauty of its setting. Even the Sultan of Morocco came to see for himself its splendours.
Over the years the luxurious Villa hosted a procession of European aristocracy before it was bought by Caroline of Brunswick in 1814, who named it Villa d' Este. The exiled wife of England's George 1V, Caroline never became Queen. George turned her down, some say, at the doors of Westminster Abbey. In 1856 however, a beautiful trompe l'oeil pavilion was built adjacent to the Cardinal's palace and named 'Hotel de la Reine d' Angleterre' to honour the 'jilted' queen.
Over the years the Villa hosted a procession of European aristocracy before it was bought by Caroline of Brunswick in 1814, who named it Villa d' Este. The exiled wife of England's George 1V, Caroline never became Queen. George turned her down, some say, at the doors of Westminster Abbey. In 1856 however, a beautiful trompe l'oeil pavilion was built adjacent to the Cardinal's palace and named 'Hotel de la Reine d' Angleterre' to honour the 'jilted' queen.
In 1873, a handful of members of Milan's high society transformed the villa into a luxury hotel and celebrities from all over the world flocked to the shores of Lake Como, as they do to this day. The lake has always been a magnet for Hollywood heart throbs, and local resident and all round good guy, gorgeous George Clooney draws the greatest sighs as he pulses around the lake on his Harley. (He is honorary President of Italy's Harley Davidson club). A few years ago, he bought Villa Oleandra in the village of Laglio, but has occasionally been sighted at the Villa d' Este.
Whenever I visit, the luxury hotel I love to check that my favourite things are still in place: the superb XV1 century mosaic - symbol of the Villa d'Este; the cascades; the 500 year-old plane tree; the Queen's Pavilion; the floating pool in the lake, and the fabulous Veranda restaurant which has retractable glass screens enabling diners to enjoy dining inside-out, as it were. Or I might clamber up to the fortresses - mock fortifications built by a countess to amuse her husband, a young Napoleonic general. The views from up here are fabulous.
Or I might stroll through the botanic gardens, peruse the plantings in the chef's garden perhaps. Or shop. There are several boutiques - including a fabulous jewellery shop in the resort's enclave. Then again I might take a boat trip. I can choose a private boat, or take the short stroll down to the ferry landing in Cernobbio.
Boredom is not an option. There are 8 tennis courts, 1 squash court, a jogging track, sailing, canoeing and water skiing. There is golf nearby, and most importantly the amazing outdoor heated pool floating on the lake, as well as an indoor pool. After all this activity you might be in need of a massage, some hydrotherapy or an indulgent beauty treatment perhaps. All of these and much, much more are available in the Beauty Centre.
The Villa d' Este's Veranda restaurant is known far and wide for the sheer beauty of its setting, its famous retractable glass windows opening on to the garden and the lake, as it is for its cuisine.
Breakfast and lunch are relatively informal, but dinner requires that gentlemen wear jacket and tie. A more relaxed dining option is The Grill, where you can dine indoors, or in the shade of the old plane trees in the summer months.
There are 152 guest rooms located in both the Cardinal Building and the Queen's Pavilion. These include, double rooms, junior suites and suites, all have marble bathrooms, and many have balconies overlooking the lake. The interiors feature elegant, antique furniture reflecting the period style of the hotel and the most wonderful swagged draperies with opulent tassels.
The long gallery above the grand staircase that rises from the lobby is lined with enormous portraits of imposing personages who gaze sternly or indulgently down upon the onlooker, depending on your perception. Their demeanour certainly speaks volumes.
In the Canova Bar - which not surprisingly is named after a marble statue attributed to Canova - walls are lined with silk, as are the beautiful embossed chairs. After all, Como has been the European capital of the silk industry for centuries.
If all this sounds terribly formal to you, fear not.
The hotel is a fun, vibrant destination, filled with laughter, gossip, scandal, anecdote, and cinematic history. Photography was born here on Lake Como
when William Henry Fox Talbot visited in 1833 and recorded his images on paper; Alfred Hitchcock made his first film here in 1925, and one of the greatest film directors of all time, Luchino Visconti's childhood summer home, Villa Erba
, is right next door. And George's villa
is just a short ferry ride away.
of The Leading Hotels of the World.
Arriving at the resort by helicopter.
Most Indulgent Moments:
Sipping a cocktail on the terrace and enjoying the panoramic spectacle of the lake while watching the sun set, Alps glistening in the background.
Keeping a watchful eye for just 'who' might rock up to the Night Club, or drop in for a nightcap in the Canova Bar.
The Little Things:
I just love the blue and white floral paper packaging and the fragrance of the guest toiletries.
Heaps. Kid's Club in the summer season. Children's pool with its own private sandy beach and sundeck.
Boat rides, tennis and lots of space to roam with Mum and Dad.
: Gentlemen, a jacket and tie is required when dining in The Veranda Restaurant. Ladies, here is your chance to parade your finery. Just don't go slouching through the hotel in daggy duds and floppy footwear. Use the underground passage leading from the main building to access the Sporting Club and indoor swimming pool.
The Villa d'Este is closed from late November till March
Maggy Oehlbeck 10/2/13
- LUXURY HOTELS: Lewtrenchard Manor, Devon, England
- LUXURY HOTEL: La Reserve Hotel & Spa, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Chedi Andermatt,Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Miami Beach EDITION, Miami USA
- LUXURY HOTELS Mondrian London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS The Beaumont Mayfair, London
- LUXURY HOTELS Sunrise Kempinski Hotel Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Meurice, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Raffles Istanbul
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Bosphorus, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS : Peninsula Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel's Art Rooms
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hong Kong
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula Bangkok
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Goring, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont's Canine Ambassadors
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Kempinski St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Culloden Estate and Spa, Northern Ireland
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Howard Hastings
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Nikol'skaya, Moscow
- LUXURY HOTELS: Love Stories
- LUXURY HOTELS: American Trade Hotel and Hall, Panama City, Panama
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood London, High Holborn, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham London, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Hotel Monceau - Raffles Paris
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Jeremy Goring
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, China
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Petter A. Stordalen
- LUXURY HOTELS: Nobu Hotel at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The State Hermitage Hotel, St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Fifth Ave, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: El Encanto, Santa Barbara, USA
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Warwick New York Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- LUXURY HOTELS: Kerry Hotels, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este, Como Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel
- LUXURY HOTELS: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker Hotel, New York, US
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Greenbrier, West Virginia, USA
- LUXURY TRAINS: The Royal Scotsman
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sydney QT, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Como Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Hotels as Movie Stars
- LUXURY HOTELS: 'Four Stories' at W HOTELS
- LUXURY HOTELS: Dorset Square Hotel, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Valley Wing at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Plaza, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, California, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa La Massa, Candeli, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Sorrento, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Centurion Palace, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Punta Tragara Hotel, Capri, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Suite, Relais Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Margherita, Bernalda, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, London
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hesperia Isla de La Toja, Galicia, North West Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- LUXURY HOTELS: Armani Hotel Milano, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Darling, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Celebrity Hotel Reviews
- LUXURY HOTELS: Travel Bible TV
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peninsula Shanghai, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Bristol, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Babington House, Somerset, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Royal Livingstone Hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Istanbul EDITION, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: The iPad2 checks-in
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Wedding Packages
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Missoni Kuwait
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alila Bangalore Hotel & Residence, Bangalore, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: W London-Leicester Square
- LUXURY HOTELS: Coworth Park, Ascot, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Canada
- LUXURY HOTELS: Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, CANADA
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The Savoy
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Coworth Park
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Cullen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTEL: Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Blackman, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Olsen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Rees, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- JUST UNPACKED FROM... Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Metropole Taormina
- LUXURY HOTELS: Maison Moschino Hotel, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanderson, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Notre Dame, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Crosby Street, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz, London
- LUXURY HOTEL: Chapslee House, Lakkar Bazaar, Shimla, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Glenburn Tea Estate, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Murano Urban Resort, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzina Grassi, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Versace, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Belmond Charleston Place
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz at Christmas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Lanesborough, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanctum Resort, Myanmar
- LUXURY HOTELS: Historic Hotels
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luciano K Hotel, Santiago, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Casa Higueras, Valparaiso, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Awasi Patagonia, Patagonia, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Tierra Atacama, Chile
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy Suite, An Artist'sResidence
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy's Royal Suite
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Savoy, London
- Christmas at Peninsula Paris
- LUXURY HOTEL: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Italy
- LUXURY HOTEL: RITZ-CARLTON TOKYO JAPAN
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sage Hotel, James Street
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Silo Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Watergate Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Moxy Times Square, New York
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois, Basel, Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa Maia, Lyon, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Social Season at The Ritz
- LUXURY HOTEL: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Capella, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Narutis, Vilnius
- LUXURY HOTELS: Penthouse Suite, The Mark, New York
- LUXURY HOTELS: World's Best B&B
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Art of Hotel Suites
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Darling Harbour, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS: East Hotel, Canberra
- LUXURY HOTEL: Juliet's House, Verona
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alàbriga Hotel & Home Suites, Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Crown and Garter Pub with Rooms, Berkshire
- LUXURY HOTELS: Claridges' Trees
- LUXURY HOTELS: Pennyhill Park & Spa, Surrey, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Park, New Delhi, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Surrey, New York, USA