LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, Queenstown, South Island, NZ
Style: Sophisticated but friendly
Scene: The luxury heart of a pretty lakeside town
Seen in the lobby: Great Outdoors lovers who like a great indoors too
From the Juliet balcony off my room at Sofitel Resort & Spa I can see icy green Lake Wakatipu and across the rooftops of Queenstown to mountains capped with snow like dollops of ice cream. This has to be one of the best views in town, from one of the best rooms.
Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island has long been known as action-central offering everything from jet boats to horseback riding in countryside that has inspired filmmakers like Peter Jackson to film his
Lord of the Rings Trilogy on location here. It also has more bars and gourmet restaurants than one small town has a right to.
The surrounding mountains have names like old 'pipe and slipper' uncles but Bob, Walter and Cecil Peaks provide far from tame entertainment. There are world-class walking trails through them and awe-inspiring helicopter flights over them. Back in town are those adrenalin fuelled jet boats on the lake, not to mention the obligatory bungie jumping off the bridge.
In winter it is the skiing that tempts not only New Zealanders but many Australians from over the Tasman to ski higher peaks than Oz can offer. And for luxury lovers who like a dose of comfort with their exercise Sofitel Queenstown Resort & Spa is in the heart of the action.
I drag myself away from the view and close the curtains. Inside in the warm is the luxury of downy doonas and white pillows piled snow-drift high on the signature Sofitel Mybed. And if I don't happen to like my particular pile of pillows, there is a pillow menu so I can choose another more to my taste. Rooms are decorated in coffee and cream décor. Possum-fur throws add another touch luxury.
In the bathroom is a rainforest shower and to help me enjoy the extra-deep designer tub that bit more the hotel's resident 'bathologist' can draw my bath and mix special oils into the water. A package that also includes a bath pillow to rest my adventure-weary head on and an after-bath robe and fluffy slippers laid carefully where I can climb into them after my soak. Sofitel bathrooms also come complete with heated floors so there will be no nasty cold shocks when I step onto the tiles- this is indulgence all the way.
After the bath I sprawl on the fur throw to relax and watch a DVD on the wide LCD TV back in the main room, which also has Wi-Fi for those who are determined to catch up on business or surgically attached to Facebook. Thoughtful touches such as in-room hot chocolate and complimentary glove warmers cater to frosty fingers.
Thoughtful touches such as in-room HOT chocolate and complimentary glove warmers cater to FROSTY fingers.
There is also the sublime LeSpa (exclusive to the French-owned Sofitel Luxury Hotels around the world). The spa in at Sofitel Queenstown offers a mixture of French and New Zealand treatments that somehow seem to offer the perfect combination of indulgences. It has five treatment suites, including two for couples. There is also hammam steam room (a perfect après ski destination), a Jacuzzi, infrared sauna and overflow bath and a manicure/pedicure area. Sofitel say the spa is designed for 'top-to-toe bliss' and I have to agree. The French influence comes in the form of Decléor products. But
The Luxury Travel Bible suggests you also indulge in one of the Maori rituals. The Signature treatment, 'Ataahua', for example, offers an exfoliation and full body wrap with local Manuka honey and volcanic mud followed by a hot and cool stone body massage using native greenstones called 'Pounamu'.
The indulgent bath and sublime spa both help to make the Sofitel a perfect luxury hotel for outdoor types who want some indoor indulgence too.. But best of all is the Ski Concierge, just what you need to make your stay near the slopes as hassle free as possible. With the Soski program the Ski Concierge will assist with all things snow-related. Lift passes and equipment hire are organised for you, and you get your skis, board and boots fitted while sipping on a glass of local pinot (and New Zealand's wines are as good as its scenery). Soski also gives you door-to-slope transfers. Ski conditions and weather reports are available to guests via cell phone text messaging, and the in-room 'snowfone' button and on your TV.
The Soski après hour in the Nue lounge gives guests a chance to swap slope stories over mulled wine and canapés (more NZ wine-bliss). Those who want to make their skiing or boarding even more luxurious can opt for a Premium Ski Day with fully escorted VIP transport and a personal full- or half-day with one of New Zealand's top instructors. Tailor-made Ski Days can also be organised for everyone from complete beginners to hardcore heli-skier and powder hounds.
The nearest ski slopes are at
Coronet Peak a 25-minute, 11 miles (18 kilometres) drive along a fully sealed road from Queenstown, this much-loved local mountain had a serious facelift with more to come. New in 2010 is an upgrade of the 'Big Easy' novice area which includes a new, state-of-the-art quad chairlift.
The latest improvements are part of a five-year redevelopment programme that has included the installation of the six-seater Greengates lift, a massive snowmaking system and, in 2008, a brand new multimillion-dollar building at the base area housing slick gourmet cafes, and a huge sundeck for those who are more interested in their ski tans than their turns. Luxury lovers can become day members of The Peak Club, or pay for a season's membership which allows access to the exclusive club room with gourmet dining, snow white leather chairs and expansive mountain views.
If the number of Parisian accents you'll hear amongst staff and their habit of greeting you with 'bonjour' rather than hello makes you yearn for the European Alps head for The Remarkables with 220 skiable hectares (554 acres) with narrow chutes, rock drops and off-piste powder for the brave, and wide sunny bowls accessed for the rest of us.
I have just come off the slopes after a hard days skiing and the big spa bath in my room is full to the brim; time to sink back into the hot water and watch the in-wall bathroom TV as steam curls towards the ceiling. The hot water and the bath oil warm and ease aching muscles. There is a glass of Central Otago red wine balanced on the side of the tub (this NZ wine thing is becoming a habit...).
An indulgent bath, perfect peaks, a luxury hotel - this really is the high life in more ways than one.
Check in: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, 8 Duke Street, Queenstown, New Zealand. Details, +64 3 450 0045.
Ultimate Luxury: The Penthouse space and views - what more could you ask for?
Most Indulgent Moment: Booking a bathologist to draw your oil-scented bath, a signature treatment at LeSpa.
Insider Secrets: All the staff greet you in French, homage to the Sofitel chain's European origins.
The Little Things: Glove warmers in the room, decent in-room espresso coffee machines, ski storing and drying, dedicated ski concierge.
Junior Luxies: Welcome but not specifically catered for
Dress code: Only the best outdoor clothing brands will do.
Dent in the platinum:
Pacific Blue has direct flights from Sydney to Queenstown. If you're a luxury flyer used to business class entertainment hire the digEplayer, your own personal in-flight for an additional $AUD20. If you fancy extra leg room, book the Blue Zone seating option for an additional $AUD45 on top of your fare.
Flying from further afield? Fly into Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington in NZ then connect on.
NZSki, owners and operators of Coronet Peak and The Remarkables give skiers and boarders the chance to book lift tickets on-line and save at www.nzski.com Savings are made with pricing in NZ dollars.
Hilary Doling 19/7/10
- LUXURY HOTELS: Lewtrenchard Manor, Devon, England
- LUXURY HOTEL: La Reserve Hotel & Spa, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Chedi Andermatt,Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Miami Beach EDITION, Miami USA
- LUXURY HOTELS Mondrian London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS The Beaumont Mayfair, London
- LUXURY HOTELS Sunrise Kempinski Hotel Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Meurice, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Raffles Istanbul
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Bosphorus, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS : Peninsula Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel's Art Rooms
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hong Kong
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula Bangkok
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Goring, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont's Canine Ambassadors
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Kempinski St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Culloden Estate and Spa, Northern Ireland
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Howard Hastings
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Nikol'skaya, Moscow
- LUXURY HOTELS: Love Stories
- LUXURY HOTELS: American Trade Hotel and Hall, Panama City, Panama
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood London, High Holborn, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham London, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Hotel Monceau - Raffles Paris
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Jeremy Goring
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, China
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Petter A. Stordalen
- LUXURY HOTELS: Nobu Hotel at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The State Hermitage Hotel, St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Fifth Ave, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: El Encanto, Santa Barbara, USA
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Warwick New York Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- LUXURY HOTELS: Kerry Hotels, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este, Como Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel
- LUXURY HOTELS: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker Hotel, New York, US
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Greenbrier, West Virginia, USA
- LUXURY TRAINS: The Royal Scotsman
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sydney QT, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Como Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Hotels as Movie Stars
- LUXURY HOTELS: 'Four Stories' at W HOTELS
- LUXURY HOTELS: Dorset Square Hotel, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Valley Wing at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Plaza, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, California, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa La Massa, Candeli, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Sorrento, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Centurion Palace, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Punta Tragara Hotel, Capri, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Suite, Relais Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Margherita, Bernalda, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, London
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hesperia Isla de La Toja, Galicia, North West Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- LUXURY HOTELS: Armani Hotel Milano, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Darling, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Celebrity Hotel Reviews
- LUXURY HOTELS: Travel Bible TV
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peninsula Shanghai, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Bristol, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Babington House, Somerset, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Royal Livingstone Hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Istanbul EDITION, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: The iPad2 checks-in
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Wedding Packages
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Missoni Kuwait
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alila Bangalore Hotel & Residence, Bangalore, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: W London-Leicester Square
- LUXURY HOTELS: Coworth Park, Ascot, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Canada
- LUXURY HOTELS: Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, CANADA
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The Savoy
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Coworth Park
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Cullen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTEL: Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Blackman, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Olsen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Rees, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- JUST UNPACKED FROM... Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Metropole Taormina
- LUXURY HOTELS: Maison Moschino Hotel, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanderson, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Notre Dame, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Crosby Street, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz, London
- LUXURY HOTEL: Chapslee House, Lakkar Bazaar, Shimla, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Glenburn Tea Estate, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Murano Urban Resort, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzina Grassi, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Versace, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Belmond Charleston Place
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz at Christmas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Lanesborough, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanctum Resort, Myanmar
- LUXURY HOTELS: Historic Hotels
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luciano K Hotel, Santiago, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Casa Higueras, Valparaiso, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Awasi Patagonia, Patagonia, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Tierra Atacama, Chile
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy Suite, An Artist'sResidence
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy's Royal Suite
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Savoy, London
- Christmas at Peninsula Paris
- LUXURY HOTEL: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Italy
- LUXURY HOTEL: RITZ-CARLTON TOKYO JAPAN
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sage Hotel, James Street
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Silo Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Watergate Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Moxy Times Square, New York
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois, Basel, Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa Maia, Lyon, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Social Season at The Ritz
- LUXURY HOTEL: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Capella, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Narutis, Vilnius
- LUXURY HOTELS: Penthouse Suite, The Mark, New York
- LUXURY HOTELS: World's Best B&B
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Art of Hotel Suites
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Darling Harbour, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS: East Hotel, Canberra
- LUXURY HOTEL: Juliet's House, Verona
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alàbriga Hotel & Home Suites, Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Crown and Garter Pub with Rooms, Berkshire
- LUXURY HOTELS: Claridges' Trees
- LUXURY HOTELS: Pennyhill Park & Spa, Surrey, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Park, New Delhi, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Surrey, New York, USA