Spitbank Fort, England
Ok, we know... this isn't the prettiest private island The Luxury Travel Bible has ever featured. There is no crystal blue ocean, no palm trees and no sandy white beaches.
But if you look beyond this you quickly realise that Spitbank Fort is pretty unique...
and hey, who really needs a slice of Paradise?
This former Napoleonic fort, Grade II listed building is located in the middle of the Solent, off the coast of the south of England and has all the luxury that any paradise island can offer.
Spitbank Fort is one of four Napoleonic forts that were built to protect the approaches to Portsmouth from an invasion by Napoleon III. The forts have never fired a shot fired a shot in anger however through the Government's 100 years of ownership Spitbank underwent several developments and upgrades in military technology.
It was sold by the government in the Ministry of Defence in 1982 and began its new life as a luxury private retreat when it was bought in 2009.
£3 million regeneration the island features eight bedrooms, a dining suite, wine tasting cellar, games rooms and TV rooms, Laurent-Perrier Champagne bar, rooftop hot pool, sauna and sun decks. Throughout the fort's new makeover has added luxury while retaining historical elements. Perhaps the most impressive feature is the three hundred and sixty degree views across the Solent.
As if that wasn't enough if you are looking to REALLY impressed that someone special the island has put together the 'World's Most Expensive First Date'. For £34,000 the package your incredible first date starts when a chauffeur driven Bentley which will take you to and from the majestic Royal Clarence Marina in Gosport, Portsmouth, where you will be greeted by your personal General Manager while offered champagne and canapés before boarding your luxury yacht to transport you to the fort. To ease into the relaxation a masseur will available. Relax in the hot tub while drinking Laurent Perrier Rose champagne and admiring the views of the Solent then watch the sunset in the arms of your Beau while a string quarter and served delicious canapés before a five course menu, chosen by you in advance and prepared by your very own gourmet Chef.
The next morning enjoy breakfast before heading back to the marina where you will be given a complimentary voucher (worth £500 per person) for a shopping spree at GunWharf Quays.
If that date doesn't impress your sweetheart, they probably aren't worth it.
Sarah Bryans 30/6/12
- The Brando, Tahiti
- Iniala Beach House, Phuket, Thailand
- Akatsuki Resort, Koh Samui ,Thailand
- Alfajiri Cliff Villa, Kenya
- Avalon Coastal Retreat, Australia
- Borgo Finocchieto, Italy
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Chalet Le Rocher, Val d'Isere
- Chalet Spa Verbier, Verbier, Switzerland
- Dar Beida, Essaouria, Morocco
- David Bowie’s Mandalay Estate, Mustique
- Domaine de Luxe, Europe
- Don Arcangelo all'Olmo, Sicily
- Bajacu, Turks & Caicos
- Chateau de Villette, France
- Casa Kimball, Dominican Republic
- Panchoran Retreat, Bali
- Le Preverger, Provence, France
- Prince Charles' country home, Llwynywermod, Wales
- Luna2, Bali
- Makepeace Island, Noosa, Australia
- Necker Island, BVI, Caribbean
- One Fine Stay, London
- Split Apple Hideway, Split Apple, Nr Nelson, New Zealand
- South Point Villa, Galle, Sri Lanka
- Spitbank Fort, England
- Suluban Cliff Villa, Bali
- Sweeton Manor, Dartmoor, England
- Taprobane Island, Sri Lanka
- PRIVATE LUXURY: Casa Magiona, Tuscany, Italy
- Casa Elizabeth
- Thanda Island
- The Jagged Edge
- Le Beauvallon, French Riviera
- PRIVATE VILLA: Son Bunyola Estate
- LUXURY VILLAS: EL CARACOL , LLEDÓ, SPAIN
- Tulum Treehouse
- Villa Ilhabela, Brazil
- PRIVATE LUXURY: Wings Hinterland Retreat, Gold Coast, Australia
- PRIVATE LUXURY: Chalet Chamois, France
- Villa Sungai, Bali
- Villa Tre Ville, Positano, Italy