PRIVATE LUXURY: Alfajiri Cliff Villa,kenya
PERCHED ON the edge of Diani beach, Cliff Villa is how you imagine Armani would live if he came to Africa - all cool contemporary white and neutrals with discreet touches of tribal design thrown in to give it a certain edge.
The Luxury Travel Bible particularly loves the turret suite with floor to ceiling windows and views of the ocean that had the luxury-jaded writer from Harpers & Queen UK salivating a few years back. Conde Nast Traveller UK also waxed lyrical about this extravagant villa and now, much as we hate to go where others have been before, we're going to rave about it too...
We're use to African print touches in terms of soft furnishing but we think this one is a first - we love the giraffe print pattern at the bottom of the infinity pool. It could have been tacky but is somehow delightful and stylish instead.
Although it is called cliff villa the property actually isn't very far from the wondrous white African beach, just a short stroll in fact that is if you can drag yourself away when the shady verandahs with large hand carved day beds and sofas.
The villa is privately owned and hosted by stylish Italian couple Fabrizio and Marika Molinaro. The villa (and the two other beautiful villas in the grounds - more of those later) is a labour of love and when he is not operating his Kenyan safari business Fabrizio travels the world looking for more unique artefacts to make Alfajiri even more special than it already is.
The style of the villa also owes much to Marika's design eye. She was in the fashion business for many years and is now an interior designer for some of Kenya's most luxurious houses. No surprise really, once you've seen Afajiri you'll ask her to design your home too.
The Molinaros and their daughters, Giulia and Sofia, like to visit Alfajiri and enjoy the one-of-a kind destination they have created when ever time allows. We don't blame them.
Yes, they can tee up 18 holes of golf for you at the club nearby, yes they can organise a safari, but the Molinaros have thought of too much too keep you here - such as award winning service with 20 staff including a nanny and a butler. Have exclusive use of the 4 bedrooms Cliff Villa or invite friends to join you and rent the 4 bedrooms Garden Villa and the 2 bedrooms Beach Villa both of which have a more obvious African styling).
Oh, and we have it on good authority that Anjelina Jolie stayed here - not that we are star struck or anything...
THE LUXURY TRAVEL BIBLE INSIDER SAYS:
Marika Molinaro not only interior designs but she also runs a workshop where she produces the furniture that graces the villas.
Hilary Doling & Prue Rushton 18/4/10
- Alfajiri Cliff Villa, Kenya
- Avalon Coastal Retreat, Australia
- Borgo Finocchieto, Italy
- Chalet Le Rocher, Val d'Isere
- Chalet Spa Verbier, Verbier, Switzerland
- Dar Beida, Essaouria, Morocco
- David Bowie’s Mandalay Estate, Mustique
- Domaine de Luxe, Europe
- Don Arcangelo all'Olmo, Sicily
- Bajacu, Turks & Caicos
- Chateau de Villette, France
- Casa Kimball, Dominican Republic
- Panchoran Retreat, Bali
- Le Preverger, Provence, France
- Prince Charles' country home, Llwynywermod, Wales
- Luna2, Bali
- Makepeace Island, Noosa, Australia
- Necker Island, BVI, Caribbean
- One Fine Stay, London
- Split Apple Hideway, Split Apple, Nr Nelson, New Zealand
- South Point Villa, Galle, Sri Lanka
- Spitbank Fort, England
- Suluban Cliff Villa, Bali
- Sweeton Manor, Dartmoor, England
- Taprobane Island, Sri Lanka
- Casa Magiona, Tuscany, Italy
- Casa Elizabeth
- Thanda Island
- The Jagged Edge
- Le Beauvallon, French Riviera
- Son Bunyola Estate
- El Caravol, Lledo Spain
- Tulum Treehouse
- Villa Ilhabela, Brazil
- Wings Hinterland Retreat, Gold Coast, Australia
- Chalet Chamois, France
- The Brando, Tahiti
- Iniala Beach House, Phuket, Thailand
- Akatsuki Resort, Koh Samui ,Thailand
- Falcon Brae Villa, Nelson, New Zealand
- PRIVATE LUXURY: King Charles' Welsh Home, Llwynywermod
- CABN X Cape St Albans, Australia
- Villa Sungai, Bali
- Villa Tre Ville, Positano, Italy