LUXURY RESORTS: Londolozi Private Game Reserve,
Sabi Sands, south africa
Style: Safari meets Ralph Lauren
Scene: A private part of the African bush
Seen in the lobby: Euro-nature lovers
Created by the pioneering Varty family, Londolozi was the first safari camp to be accepted into the prestigious Relais & Chateaux fold and one of the first to take both wildlife conservation and integration with local communities seriously. Now its five stellar camps are back in family hands, under the stewardship of fourth generation Boyd and Bronwyn Varty
The monkeys at Londolozi have luxury tastes. As I sit on my treetop balcony a vervet monkey takes her baby for a swim in my private plunge pool. I reach for my camera and she turns her velvet-black face ringed with silver fur towards me; 'no paparazzi' her expression seems to say. It is clear from the indifference with which she regards me that it is in fact HER private plunge pool, for I am merely passing through and she lives here.
This unbeatable combination of luxury and wildlife is what Londolozi private game reserve is famous for. The Varty family believe in 'spirit of place' and have a deep feeling of responsibility for the land they share a history with and the animals that inhabit it. The name Londolozi means 'protector of all living things. This is a very special place to visit. There is a sense of 'family' amongst the staff and you get the impression those who live here love this land with a passion that goes deep.
Londolozi sits lightly on the banks of the Sand River in the heart of the Sabi Sand Reserve adjoining Kruger National Park in Mpumalana. There are no fences and animals move freely wherever they wish, so you see a great variety of game.
The leopards of Londolozi are justly famous: twenty five years of observation has meant that generations of these elusive cats are more at ease with 4WDs, which means you get a chance to get close to some of Africa's most private animals. On our first game drive we have spots before our eyes almost immediately when our tracker sees a leopard sitting basking on a rock, her eyes ginger in the sun. That same day we also see lions on the prowl, delicate impala aplenty and are even mock-charged by a rhino that thinks we're a little too interested in his family group.
The LEOPARDS of LONDOLOZI are justly famous...you get a chance to get close to some of Africa's most PRIVATE animals
Anyone visiting Londolozi should request a drive in their zero admissions electric game drive vehicle with significantly lower carbon footprint than the conventional 4WD and the first of is kind. For viewers it has the advantage of being silent, so animals are disturbed even less.
Back at Tree Camp that night the bush decks are lit up with Out-Of-Africa style hurricane lamps. Tree Camp is my personal favourite; it has six suites with wide windows out onto bush views, open air decks nestling in the ebony trees and outdoor plunge pools. Marry all this closeness to nature with the Ralph Lauren wallpaper, chocolate leather sofas, cream furnishings and that ultimate indulgence, a freestanding stone bath looking out into the bush, and you have the perfect combination of style and simplicity.
Pioneer Camp's three suites are the most historical as it was on this site eighty years ago that the Varty and Taylor ancestors first pitched their tents. In honour of that fact guest suites are themed with historic memorabilia, there is a quintessential Englishness about the elegant cream interiors, silver teapots and Portmeirion crockery.
The other historic camp - Founders Camp is child friendly and offers families the chance to safari in classic style with old military chests, leather sofas and more classic safari lamps.
Children are also welcome at Varty Camp, where all ten chalets have their own private swimming pools, perfect after a dusty day in the bush. At the heart of Londolozi, Varty is where you'll also find the library and massage room.
The most exclusive offerings are the three Granite Suites surrounded by riverine forest river and decorated in a pallet of colours all the best rhinos have been wearing for years; charcoal, grey and slate.
At day's end I wander down to the restaurant deck where I swear the same monkey that invaded my plunge pool, her baby and several of her troublesome relations are now hovering in the trees. As the elephant-grey dusk descends we sit sipping champagne and listening to the sounds of the African night.
|Check in: Londolozi, Sabi Sands Reserve, South Africa. Tel: +27 11 280 6655 Fax: +27 11 280 6656.
|Ultimate Luxury: Sunset gin and tonics with the roar of lions in the distance.
|Most Indulgent Moment: Early morning yoga at the Wellness centre with the sounds of the bush waking up.
|Insider Secrets: Boyd Varty believes in spiritual as well as bush exploration and a number of African Self -Transformation Adventure Retreats (STAR) are run at Londolozi
|The Little Things: All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.
|Junior Luxies: The cubs programme is for kids of all ages. Children welcome at the Varty and Founders camps.
|Dress code: Khaki shirts, chinos (that have seen more than one safari before).
|Perfect luggage: Mulholland leather Hippo Duffel (the name seems appropriate).
|Dent in the platinum:
|Luxury Resorts Links: www.londolozi.com
Hilary Doling 8/4/10 Updated 3/4/20
- LUXURY RESORTS: Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Resort, South Pacific
- LUXURY RESORTS Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France, Caribbean
- LUXURY LODGES andBeyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
- LUXURY RESORTS: Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa,
- LUXURY RETREAT: Aro Ha, New Zealand
- LUXURY RESORTS: MarBella Corfu, Greece
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Oberoi Lombok, Indonesia
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Oberoi Bali
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi, Maldives
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Palace at One&Only Royal Mirage, Dubai
- THE MOUNTAIN RETREAT: Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman
- LUXURY RESORTS: Quamby Estate, Tasmania, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Bay of Fires Lodge, Tasmania, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa, Queensland, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Rancho Valencia, San Diego, USA
- LUXURY RESORTS: Point Yamu by COMO, Phuket, Thailand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Laucala Island Resort, Fiji
- LUXURY RESORTS: Hayman Island, Queensland
- LUXURY RESORTS: Evian Resort, Lake Geneva, France
- LUXURY RESORTS: Alpenresort Schwarz, Mieming, Austria
- LUXURY RESORTS: Discovery Shores Boracay
- LUXURY RESORTS: Mukul, Rivas, Nicaragua
- LUXURY RESORTS: Maison Noosa, Noosa Heads, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Outrigger Little Hastings Street Resort & Spa, Noosa, Queensland
- LUXURY RESORTS: Spicers Tamarind Retreat, Maleny, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Casa Las Filippinas de Acuzar, Bagat, The Philippines
- LUXURY RESORTS: Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort, SINGAPORE
- LUXURY RESORTS: Palmer Coolum Resort, QLD, Australia
- LUXURY RESORT: Como Shambhala Estate, Bali
- LUXURY RESORTS: Uma Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Peppers Broadbeach, Gold Coast, Queensland
- LUXURY RESORTS: Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa, Phuket, Thailand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Donnafugata Golf Resort & Spa, Sicily
- LUXURY RESORTS: Whare Kea Lodge and Chalet, Wanaka, New Zealand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Mahogany Springs Lodge, Bwindi, Uganda
- LUXURY RESORTS: Semara Luxury Villa Resort Uluwatu, Bali, Indonesia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Alila Villas, Uluwatu, Bali
- LUXURY RESORTS: Ten Bedroom Residence, Alila Villas Soori, Bali
- LUXURY RESORTS: InterContinental Bali, Bali
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Palace of the Lost City, South Africa
- LUXURY SAFARI: Lewa Downs, Kenya
- LUXURY RESORTS: Hotel Almenara, Sotogrande, Spain
- LUXURY RESORTS: Shangri-La Boracay Resort & Spa
- LUXURY RESORTS: Split Apple Retreat, Tasman, New Zealand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Matakauri Lodge, NR Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Kauri Cliffs, Bay of Islands, New Zealand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Lupita Island, Tanzania
- LUXURY RESORTS: Lake Crackenback Resort, Crackenback, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Pangkor Laut Resort, Perak, MALAYSIA
- LUXURY RESORT: Cameron Highlands Resort, Cameron Highlands, MALAYSIA
- LUXURY RESORT: Tanjong Jara Resort, Kuala Terengganu, MALAYSIA
- LUXURY RESORTS: Aman in Indonesia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: W Retreat & Spa Vieques Island
- LUXURY RESORTS: Amanfayun, Hangzhou, China
- LUXURY RESORTS: Shangri-la Resort & Chi Spa, Yanuca Island, FIJI
- LUXURY RESORTS: Le Meridien, Isle of Pines, New Caledonia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Amanpulo, Pamalican Island, Philippines
- LUXURY RESORTS: Arajilla Retreat, NSW, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: Indigo Pearl, Phuket, Thailand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Londolozi, South Africa
- LUXURY RESORTS: Nam Hai, Dien Ban, Vietnam
- LUXURY RESORT: Earth Lodge, Sabi Sabi, South Africa
- LUXURY RESORTS: Bovey Castle, Dartmoor
- LUXURY RESORTS: Ulusaba, Sabi Sands, South Africa
- LUXURY RESORTS: Aldermar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort, Crete, Greece
- LUXURY RESORTS: Gaia Retreat & Spa, Australia
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Garland, LA
- LUXURY RESORTS: The Kildare Hotel at the K Club
- LUXURY RESORTS: Ashford Castle
- LUXURY RESORTS: Dromoland Castle
- LUXURY RESORTS: Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
- LUXURY RESORTS: Myconian Avaton Resort, Mykonos, Greece
- LUXURY RESORT: Bürgenstock Resort, Switzerland
- LUXURY RESORTS: Capella Singapore
- LUXURY RESORT: Almar Jesolo Resort & Spa, Jesolo, Italy
- LUXURY RESORTS: Baraza Resort & Spa, Zanzibar
- LUXURY RESORT: The Tongsai Bay, Ko Samui, Thailand
- LUXURY RESORTS: Six Senses Douro Valley
- LUXURY RESORT: Sahab Resort and Spa, Oman
- LUXURY RESORTS: Dunes by Al Nahda, Oman
- LUXURY RESORTS: Private Islands, Fiji
- LUXURY RESORTS: Eco Resorts
- LUXURY RESORTS: ANI Sri Lanka
- LUXURY RESORT: Maslina Resort, Hvar, Croatia
- LUXURY ISLAND: Alphonse Island, Seychelles
- LUXURY RESORTS: Royal Malewane, South Africa
- LUXURY RESORTS: Soneva Fushi, Maldives