Prince Charles' country
Llwynywermod, a former 18th century coach house and farm in Carmarthenshire is the welsh home of HRH Prince of Wales and the Duchess of
Cornwall. Charles and Camilla have their quarters in the old coach house but you can live like royalty in two barn conversions which form part of the courtyard which adjoins the royal abode: North Range (sleeps 6) and West Range (sleeps four).
You can't actually rent either cottage when the royal couple are in residence so no sneaking a peak at Camilla or Charles in their green wellies walking the estate. Nevertheless you can enjoy the same lifestyle. Not least striding the hills of the surrounding landscape in your own wellies (Llwynywermod sits within 192 acres of farmland with beautiful views over historic parkland) or visiting some of the castles for which Carmarthenshire is famous and exploring the nearby Brecon Beacons.
The Luxury Travel Bible's favourite of the two is West Range which sleeps four and has a pretty cottage garden. Both of the barn conversions incorporate welsh slate and stone and our Luxury Insider tells us that the interiors were decorated by Camilla's sister - interior designer and antique collector Annabel Elliot - with a mix of antiques and plush modern furnishings.
Both beautiful conversions have stone floors, large open fireplaces and oak-shuttered windows. They also include modern comforts such as a flat screen digital TV with DVD player and hi-fi with Ipod docking station. 'Quality' books, DVD's and games are also provided; so you can guess Andrew Morton's biography of Princess Diana isn't there.
Unless you have as many loyal retainers as HRH you may have to do your own washing. Luckily there is a dishwasher and washing machine, with linen and towels also provided. In keeping with the Prince's stand on conservation and the environment the heat and hot water is supplied from a woodchip boiler, and sustainable natural products have been used in the barn's construction, including sheep's wool insulation and hemp plaster.
Lastly, you'll be glad to know that 'a maximum of 2 well behaved dogs can be accommodated by prior arrangement' at a small addition cost (30 pounds a week).
So bring the corgis.
The Luxury Travel Bible insider says:
- Next on your list - the Prince of Wales' 18th century Saxon houses in Romania. They may not be exactly five star but you will be helping the cause of restoration close to his highness's heart. Plus the cottages are run for the Duchy of Cornwall by the staff of a real life Transylvanian count, Count Kalnoky, (an elegant man who, we are told, bears more than passing resemblance to Ralph Fiennes)
- Once you've stayed at a Duchy of Cornwall property you're one step closer to royalty. For example this August 'by kind permission of HRH Prince of Wales', guests and friends of the Duchy of Cornwall Holiday Cottages can book an exclusive tour of the gardens at Highgrove.
Hilary Doling 17/8/10
- Villa Ilhabela, Brazil
- The Brando, Tahiti
- Iniala Beach House, Phuket, Thailand
- Desert Castle
- and relax
- Akatsuki Resort, Koh Samui ,Thailand
- Alfajiri Cliff Villa, Kenya
- Avalon Coastal Retreat, Australia
- Borgo Finocchieto, Italy
- Chalet Le Rocher, Val d'Isere
- Chalet Spa Verbier, Verbier, Switzerland
- Dar Beida, Essaouria, Morocco
- David Bowie’s Mandalay Estate, Mustique
- Domaine de Luxe, Europe
- Don Arcangelo all'Olmo, Sicily
- Bajacu, Turks & Caicos
- Chateau de Villette, France
- Casa Kimball, Dominican Republic
- Panchoran Retreat, Bali
- Le Preverger, Provence, France
- Prince Charles' country home, Llwynywermod, Wales
- Luna2, Bali
- Makepeace Island, Noosa, Australia
- Necker Island, BVI, Caribbean
- One Fine Stay, London
- Split Apple Hideway, Split Apple, Nr Nelson, New Zealand
- South Point Villa, Galle, Sri Lanka
- Spitbank Fort, England
- Suluban Cliff Villa, Bali
- Sweeton Manor, Dartmoor, England
- Taprobane Island, Sri Lanka
- Casa Elizabeth
- Thanda Island
- The Jagged Edge
- Le Beauvallon, French Riviera
- PRIVATE VILLA: Son Bunyola Estate
- Villa Sungai, Bali
- Villa Tre Ville, Positano, Italy