LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
Style: Laid-back luxury
Scene: Relaxed on the beach
Seen in the Lobby: Families escaping for a little fun in the sun
Hesperia Lanzarote has just been awarded "Best Spa in a Family Resort" at the SENSES Wellness Awards ceremony in Dubai. This is of course is great news for those with little luxies but don't let this achievement put couples or those with older children off. As The Luxury Travel Bible found out there is plenty to entertain all generations.
When I heard how big Hesperia Lanzarote is (335 rooms, including 46 suites) there is a fear that it would have little character and be overcrowded. However due to the sprawling layout it is surprisingly personal and, while I did see other guests, there is more than enough space around the pool, on the beach and in the dining areas to go around for everyone.
Throughout the five star hotel the large open spaces, subdued decor and large windows present a relaxed, peaceful feel which is even further enhanced by the friendly staff, sublime spa, a dip in one of the four outdoor pools (one of which has been designed exclusively for children) and the relaxed dining facilities.
The layout of the hotel is quirky and for me was confusing at first. Laid out over the hill the design allows for this large hotel to not venture into 'high-rise' territory which is prohibited by Lanzarote law (a legacy of famed architect César Manrique who was born on the island in 1919). For breakfast one morning I somehow got in the elevator went down, needed to go up and found the restaurant via the outdoors pool - and this was before a couple of holiday cocktails in the bar. Eventually I worked it out, although don't make me explain it - you'll work it out yourself, probably quicker than I did. Maybe I was so chilled out here I just couldn't comprehend how to work out which floor to get off at.
My room was large and airy which was increased by throwing open the doors to the large balcony and the vast views that lay ahead and onto the horizon. Many an hour can be passed gazing out over the blue, still ocean with only the occasional fishing boat passing by. The dividers between each of the balconies mean that all you can see from the balcony is the sea and not the next door neighbours on their balcony probably doing the extract same thing. Be sure to book a room with an ocean view.
Admittedly the bathroom was on the smaller side, but it did the job and the large 'dressing area' outside of the bathroom more than made up for this. The double sink will work for any vacationing couple or if like me you pack too many toiletries and clothes and wish to spread your possessions all over the place.
The star of the show is undoubtedly the Spa; its recent award confirms this...
The star of the show is undoubtedly the Spa; its recent award confirms this. The massage jets are strong enough to pummel any knots out of weary bodies following a round on the golf course or long flight. As well as rainforest showers, icy showers, steam rooms and saunas there are also circulation pools to boost circulation. Perfect for Jet Lag or you could always do what one gentleman did and forgo the ice cold pool and just lay in the warm bath instead - it clearly caught on as once he left I spotted a lady do the exact same thing.
Fresh fruit kebabs and cold drinks are on offer which is a nice treat after a treatment or session in the steam.
As well as the usual facials and massages found at most hotels this spa also offers more 'alternative' therapies such as acupuncture, Tibetan Bowl therapy and crystal healing.
TLTB settled on the essential oils massage from the menu but the Aloe Vera massage would be the obvious choice after a day of topping up the tan by the pool. Aloe Vera is a local product which can be spotted growing along the sides of the roads in Lanzarote. Products made from the prized cooling gel are available in all the local shops.
Unfortunately my treat of cereal bar and herbal tea at the end of the treatment paled into insignificance in comparison to my fellow spa-goer's treat of chocolate truffle and cactus liqueur after their Aloe Vera treatment. But I did not let this prejudice the great feeling of wellbeing I enjoyed after the massage.
Dining is a relaxed affair at the hotel and offers a good range. Restaurant Botavara is the higher end dining option of international cuisine. The more relaxed dining venue, El Risco offers Italian food. This restaurant also serves breakfast which widely ranges from Continental to English to American breakfasts - bring lots of will power if you plan to stick to a strict diet. Cooling cocktails and drinks are available at the Pool Bar and TLTB can say that the Paella served here is delicious.
The bar is set within the grand lobby yet once the pianist started tinkling on the ivories it felt like an intimate piano bar. One benefit of course is that it's just a quick dash over to the reception if you wish to change your wake-up call and prolong your lie in as the night draws on.
Be sure to head to the hotel's secluded private beach area. Loungers, palm trees, a delicious barbeque of fresh seafood, a cold glass of Champagne, sea and sand were enough to tempt the most hardcore golfers in our group away from a game.
Should you wish to venture off-campus for a spot of shopping or dining head along a short hillside walk from the hotel to the local marina. Not only does it house designer boutiques and some beautiful yachts it also provides a perfect sun-set viewing point.
Just as TLTB was at home at the spa little luxies will feel right at home at this hotel. As well as child-friendly facilities the hotel also has a Kids Club (complete with a dancing Hippo mascot).
Not often can TLTB state that children will be kept entertained by the GM. Yet at Hesperia Josep will do just that. A lifelong magic fan and a member of the magic circle he will perform a trick when asked nicely (and of course when not doing the day job of running the hotel). Our party was very entertained with a magically appearing bottle of Champagne. How did he do it? Ah, that would be telling and he certainly wasn't. If only we could have learnt that luxe trick and brought it back to share with our readers.
How to get there:
Monarch airline flies to Lanzarote from London Luton, and Manchester airports. The Luxury Travel Bible
was impressed with Monarch's friendly, efficient service and the extra-legroom seats (which offer up to six inches of extra space). For more information or to book flights, www.monarch.co.uk
|Check in: Urb. Cortijo Viejo (Puerto Calero). 35570 Lanzarote
|Ultimate Luxury: An Aloe Vera massage after a day of sunbathing by the pool - followed by a chocolate truffle and shot of cactus liqueur (purely for medicinal reasons of course!)
|Most Indulgent Moment: A beach side barbeque in the private beach club - with an extremely fresh seafood buffet and the odd glass of bubbles.
|Insider Secrets: A short walk to the Marina is the perfect way to spend an evening . Duty Free Tax shopping in the designer boutiques is a nice bonus.
|Junior Luxies: Welcomed with open arms by Kids Club mascot Hesperia the Hippo. Kids will no doubt also be amused by hotel manager Josep's magic tricks.
|Dress code: Beach Chic - smart casual for evenings.
|Dent in the platinum:
|Luxury Hotels Links: www.hesperia.com/ www.nh-hotels.com
Sarah Bryans 7/6/11
- LUXURY HOTELS: Lewtrenchard Manor, Devon, England
- LUXURY HOTEL: La Reserve Hotel & Spa, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Chedi Andermatt,Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Miami Beach EDITION, Miami USA
- LUXURY HOTELS Mondrian London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS The Beaumont Mayfair, London
- LUXURY HOTELS Sunrise Kempinski Hotel Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Meurice, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Raffles Istanbul
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Bosphorus, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS : Peninsula Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel's Art Rooms
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hong Kong
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula Bangkok
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Goring, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont's Canine Ambassadors
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Kempinski St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Culloden Estate and Spa, Northern Ireland
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Howard Hastings
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Nikol'skaya, Moscow
- LUXURY HOTELS: Love Stories
- LUXURY HOTELS: American Trade Hotel and Hall, Panama City, Panama
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood London, High Holborn, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham London, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Hotel Monceau - Raffles Paris
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Jeremy Goring
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, China
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Petter A. Stordalen
- LUXURY HOTELS: Nobu Hotel at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The State Hermitage Hotel, St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Fifth Ave, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: El Encanto, Santa Barbara, USA
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Warwick New York Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- LUXURY HOTELS: Kerry Hotels, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este, Como Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel
- LUXURY HOTELS: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker Hotel, New York, US
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Greenbrier, West Virginia, USA
- LUXURY TRAINS: The Royal Scotsman
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sydney QT, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Como Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Hotels as Movie Stars
- LUXURY HOTELS: 'Four Stories' at W HOTELS
- LUXURY HOTELS: Dorset Square Hotel, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Valley Wing at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Plaza, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, California, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa La Massa, Candeli, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Sorrento, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Centurion Palace, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Punta Tragara Hotel, Capri, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Suite, Relais Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Margherita, Bernalda, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, London
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hesperia Isla de La Toja, Galicia, North West Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- LUXURY HOTELS: Armani Hotel Milano, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Darling, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Celebrity Hotel Reviews
- LUXURY HOTELS: Travel Bible TV
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peninsula Shanghai, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Bristol, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Babington House, Somerset, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Royal Livingstone Hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Istanbul EDITION, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: The iPad2 checks-in
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Wedding Packages
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Missoni Kuwait
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alila Bangalore Hotel & Residence, Bangalore, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: W London-Leicester Square
- LUXURY HOTELS: Coworth Park, Ascot, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Canada
- LUXURY HOTELS: Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, CANADA
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The Savoy
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Coworth Park
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Cullen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTEL: Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Blackman, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Olsen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Rees, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- JUST UNPACKED FROM... Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Metropole Taormina
- LUXURY HOTELS: Maison Moschino Hotel, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanderson, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Notre Dame, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Crosby Street, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz, London
- LUXURY HOTEL: Chapslee House, Lakkar Bazaar, Shimla, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Glenburn Tea Estate, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Murano Urban Resort, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzina Grassi, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Versace, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Belmond Charleston Place
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz at Christmas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Lanesborough, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanctum Resort, Myanmar
- LUXURY HOTELS: Historic Hotels
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luciano K Hotel, Santiago, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Casa Higueras, Valparaiso, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Awasi Patagonia, Patagonia, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Tierra Atacama, Chile
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy Suite, An Artist'sResidence
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy's Royal Suite
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Savoy, London
- Christmas at Peninsula Paris
- LUXURY HOTEL: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Italy
- LUXURY HOTEL: RITZ-CARLTON TOKYO JAPAN
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sage Hotel, James Street
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Silo Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Watergate Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Moxy Times Square, New York
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois, Basel, Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa Maia, Lyon, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Social Season at The Ritz
- LUXURY HOTEL: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Capella, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: Pennyhill Park & Spa, Surrey, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Park, New Delhi, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Surrey, New York, USA